My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Monday, November 27, 2006

 

CBC Television

Just to give Canadian readers the heads up, I will be on the Gill Deacon show tomorrow at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. EST on CBC.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw you today on CBC, thank you for sharing. I have a 5 year old who was diagnosed at 2 years old. Our biggest struggle is getting teachers to treat him as a human being. It amazes me that in this day of education, internet, resources and the like, we still have teachers and a school system that treats them like idiots. Thank you for being a voice...its gives those of us out here talking to brick walls encouragement.

take care!
Kay

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Early Morning,
I watched the Gill Deacon show yesterday because I knew the topic of Autism was going to be discussed. My five year old grandson was diagnosed with Aperger's Syndrome last May. I was impressed with what you are trying to accomplish! I did not feel that Gill Deacon completely understood and wanted to bang my own head in frustration at some of her comments but at least she was trying!
One of the things that the general public really misunderstands is a "Meltdown" and even educated people think a child like my grandson is just spoiled and having a temper tantrum. The television show, "The Nanny" has made this viewpoint still stronger. My daughter has found an Aspergers support group helpful in dealing with this but still when a meltdown occurs in a public place, she hears the "tsk,tsks" and comments about poor parenting skills etc!
I wish you luck in your mission! It is of huge importance!
Victoria Bradford B.A. & Griffin's Grandma

10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home