My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

 

More Positive Autism

I'm about to go away for a few days and may not post to my blog. I find I'm at a loss for words these days, which is a sure sign I need to retreat, be alone, collect my thoughts.

In the meantime, for Toronto viewers, I've posted a little more "positive autism," and I hope that people will figure out that no matter what level of "functioning" we can surely all learn from each other. It's like what Jonathan Lerman says, a man who at ten was still completely mute, who is learning to speak more and more today, going on nineteen years of age: "There's no such word as can't." And you don't have to be a Nobel Laureate either!


Vernon Smith, Nobel Prize Winner & Autistic,

5 Comments:

Blogger Maddy said...

Thanks for the U tube - great way to start the day! Key words for the day=
- no pressure to conform
- selective advantage
- mental diversity
So if you see me in the street muttering, I'll just be repeating todays mantra. Have a great holiday. [translation = vacation]
Best wishes
http://whitterer-autism.blogspot.com

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that film clip, they're a nice couple on top of everything else :)

I hope your vacation is restful and productive. I'm learning that sometimes our most productive times are the times when it looks like we're not doing anything ;)

Best wishes from my family to yours...we look forward to seeing you back when you're batteries are recharged!

6:27 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Very impressive. Different kinds of minds indeed! Thank you for showing us this Estee, and I hope that you have a good rest. It's well deserved.

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are blessed that you are able to retreat for a few days and collect your thoughts. There far to many parents who cannot.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

Yes...we (and Adam) are blessed with INCREDIBLE grandparents who watch over him so we can get away. I do not know what I'd do without my parents.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home