My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Friday, November 24, 2006

 

Mourning Ulysses

As I said in my last post, I returned to Toronto to more disturbing news reports, primarily the one by Margaret Wente in the Globe and Mail and how she portrayed the autistic person -- a person doomed to a life-sentence of head-banging and screaming. Every time someone's face frowns at my son when I mention autism, when someone says "I'm sorry" when I tell them that Adam is autistic, I blame news reporters like Wente who neglect to do their research and have never met the likes of my son Adam, or do not make the attempt to speak to the many adult autistics living in Canada today.

I am horrified that nearly every couple of months, there is another story, another murder. And what do we hear in the media of it? Will the media cover the connection between pejorative commnetary about autistic people, the constant disrespectful misrepresentation of the autistic person and these murders? If epidemic innuendo could stop, if parents, autistic people, scientists could work together without prejudice, if we could respect every autistic person....if only....

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pop along to Live Journal or the equivalent and you can see for yourself that for 'young people,' the words autism / autistic are 'merely' an adjective.
Best wishes

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home