My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

 

Hillary Clinton: Autism "Prevention" and Political Opportunism

Don't get me wrong. I rather like Hillary Clinton. I am in favour of a female or a African-American President. What I am not in favour of is using autism "prevention" -- aka another "war on autism" as a political platform in order to get votes. Christschool's videos are provocative -- as they should be. Below, is another good version of his ability to illustrate the problems with using "epidemic" to get votes, money or anything of the like. If I lived in America, Hillary would lose my vote for her poorly researched stance on autism. Indeed, we are not united with Autism Speaks. We are not united with those who support factless facts on a non-existent epidemic. Adam is not a misery or an epidemic, even if there are others who insist he must be. No, he is a wonderful, joyful, exuberant little boy who is now growing and coming into his own.

So, no thanks, Hillary. We don't need another autism vigilante.


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We don't need cures... we need acceptance and teachers.

Even 50yrs ago the little one would have had a label of "slow" but he would have been taught and loved. Taught to help around the house and the fields. Been given chores, trust in what he could accomplish and family.

Now, he's been labelled as an epidemic and as a burden on society.

We've progressed sooooo far.. more like regressed.

S.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

Hi farmwife,

You said in the previous post comments that the therapist you were about to get rid of said your son would "fail," without therapy.

We were told the same by many ABA and VB therapists here in Ontario (and some we flew in from the US). At first I was frightened, then I was confused and angry, and now a guffaw. What made me disbelieve their rhetoric? I guess it was Adam. As plain as that. I believed in him.

No one should frighten a family newly diagnosed in such a way.

Anyone who frightens others and does not acknowledge human potential and continue positive steps to advance and assist others with respect does a disservice.

Obviously, Hillary's information is skewed and not all sides have been brought to her.

Maybe GRASP should give her a call.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

Agreed, Hillary lost my vote.

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were lucky to have had a child that surpassed our wildest dreams first. A child that is as normal as you or I.. with some quirks to keep it interesting. A child that at 3 just started one word phrases that now at nearly 8... can lose the speech/language delay part of the dx.

So I knew he was an idiot. Had known that for months (Oct 2005). I didn't like IBI when they came to see me about the eldest - he didn't qualify for the program and I refused to allow it - but I couldn't get through the "wall" with the little one. Nothing worse than seeing your child desperate to communicate with you. And they claimed to be different. Only thing different was they were in my living room instead of a locked room alone with my child.

They went through the wall. For that I am forever greatful. For upsetting both my children, and my husband and I, that is not forgiveable. They know nothing about autism.

S.

7:20 AM  
Blogger David N. Andrews M. Ed., C. P. S. E. said...

"We don't need cures... we need acceptance and teachers."

This is something I keep stressing: autism is not a medical issue... it is a developmental one, and requires an educational approach.

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would rather entrust my (autistic) child's life and future to a fundamentalist Christian Republican, than a member of the ACLU. Los Angeles is brutally Darwinian.

Leah Lipschultz
Woodland Hills, CA

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What children with autism need is educated "doctors" that know the ailments that accumulate into autism.
People need to open your minds and realize that these children are hurting and need help.
"Doctors" need to leave their arrogant (pharmaceutical) driven personalities back in the last century. Parents are no longer tolerating it.
Trying to teach a toxic child ABA is like trying to teach a drunken person how to juggle. It can be done, but it isn't pretty to watch.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home