My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Monday, July 14, 2008

 

Fits and Starts

Yes, that's how I feel my recuperation has been. After a wonderful week in San Diego with Dad of Cameron, Autism Diva, One Dad's Opinion and Asperger Square 8, and the folks at University of San Diego, I came home, picked up Adam and we headed to a hot and sticky Florida to be awestruck by the possibility of Bertha hitting Miami. Then, we left. Adam has been having a terrific time at camp. He is the best swimmer of his class, and he is the favorite friend. So I hereby state that it's totally possible that kids can be "social" even without language!!

I am loving watching Adam get on the school bus, or strut back off after his first long days at camp (they used to be half days but now they go 9-5). He is totally happy. His friends also think that he's "very smart." Fancy that for a kid who can't respond typically.

So, while I got caught back in bed with threatening pneumonia again (which is why I don't write much), I want to share the "phenomena" with those out there who don't believe that non verbal autistic children are social or intelligent.

I am catching it all too -- on tape. And once I can figure out how to get more gigabites on my computer, I'll be mak'in more movies.

Way to go Adam! You make your mama proud!

8 Comments:

Blogger kristina said...

Hope you feel better soon. Waiting for the movie....... Way to go, Adam!

12:44 PM  
Blogger Club 166 said...

... And once I can figure out how to get more gigabites on my computer, ...

Firewire drives. Relatively inexpensive. Work like a charm.

Joe

1:23 PM  
Blogger farmwifetwo said...

Yesterday the family "do" was on the farm. We had it btwn the houses where the playground stuff is.

A little boy - around my boys' age - was sitting with his grandparents. I'd never met him. Obvious something wasn't "right" and I watched. Then I went over and asked him if he'd like to play. His Grandma said "He doesn't talk". Me "no problem, neither does my little one". Who was happily, ALL DAY LONG, playing with the other children in the playground.

Good thing I've learnt a few basic signs... but "mo, mo, mo" with lots of laughter from their new friend on the swings, is understandable... if you wish to listen and be a friend.

S.

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, that's great! I'm so glad Adam is having fun at camp. hopefully in the next few years we can get Jaymes in a camp, I think he'd love it.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Niksmom said...

Can't wait for the video! You have every right to be proud; Adam is a remarkable boy and his successes continue to give me hope for my Nik to have the same.

My 17 yr old niece remarked to me last night (at a family dinner) that she was "impressed and surprised" at how well Nik manages to communicate and make himself "heard" even though he doesn't speak. It never ceases to boggle my mind that people *assume* nonverbal equals non-communicative and/or mentally retarded.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

Hope you feel better soon.
And I just saw the video on "Adam Speaks". I think your son is incredibly intelligent. (Like you needed me to tell you that!) :)

He is giving me hope for my little guy, so thank you so much for sharing.

Monica

7:58 AM  
Blogger JoyMama said...

So much communication happens word-free! and what a wonderful feeling that Adam has friends who are willing to "listen."

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay for Adam! i can't wait for more movies.

hope you're getting lots of rest. be gone, pneumonia!

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home