My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

 

San Diego

I'm in San Diego -- the Work With Me, Not On Me -- and I must say that I'm really enjoying meeting many other Autism Hub Bloggers here: Autism Diva, Asperger Square 8, One Dad's Opinion and Dad of Cameron.

We've all been busy presenting, and Steve and Bev have been on the radio which you can here hear by clicking on this link.

Today, Adam graduated Senior Kindergarten (Pomp and Circumstance and all), and my family has been sending me so many photos. I hated to miss it, but while I'm here, I know I'm also speaking for Adam's future. I delivered my Mismeasure of Autism: The Current Basis of Autism "Advocacy"presentation which is being published this July in Wendy Lawson's Concepts of Normalcy: The Autistic And Typical Spectrum. The audience has been really interested, asking great questions and I must say that the reception at the autism conferences lately has been very refreshing.

In the meantime, Adam and I are sending SMS messages to each other. As he doesn't like the phone, we've found a new way to communicate. We found yet another way to adapt.

13 Comments:

Blogger geosaru said...

Cool! I so wanted to be there, especially since San Diego is pretty close, but unfortunately my parents work a lot and couldn't take off to drive me there. Sounds like it's been going great though!

2:57 AM  
Blogger kristina said...

why does everything happen at once----but all good! congratulations to Adam!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

Yes...even Autreat which I am sadly missing this year. But Michael Moon went instead.

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, that's where you are. Wondered why you weren't at Autreat!

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool to be messaging with your little man... Keep up the good work on the Acceptance Project. Recently a mother in my community wrote to a message board saying that a neighbor yelled at her while she was walking with her 11-year-old son down the street to "put her *retard* on a leash". This attitude is unacceptable and we need to get more time in the media to talk about respect to autistic people and their civil rights.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Club 166 said...

I hadn't read your "Mismeasure of Autism..." talk before. Thanks for linking to it.

It's very powerful and well done. It's no wonder it went over well.

Joe

12:49 PM  
Blogger schoolpsych said...

Thank you for sharing your knowledge at the conference. Your presentation was very powerful and has helped to solidify my positive views on autism! I know it was hard to be away from your little one while missing his graduation, but your words will forever stick with me and I thank you!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

Thanks schoopsych...great to get feedback .. I really appreciate it.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Bev said...

Hi Estee,

I'm so glad you were able to participate in the conference. Meeting you was a great experience, and I'm sorry we didn't have more time to talk. The time went by so fast.

Your presentations were excellent, and it was great to see so much of Adam and his accomplishments being shared with new people. I look forward to the day he joins us in person on the stage to share his story too. You have every reason to be proud. Thank you for sharing your joy with all of us.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

Bev,

To say that meeting you was a "joy" is an understatement. I can't wait to get home and let this all absorb, but I think you are so insightful and brilliant.

We must do this in Toronto!

11:36 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I'll just add that I also had a great time and I think we all presented some fascinating information and I think we all presented it pretty well, too.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Do'C said...

Estee,

It was so nice to meet you in person. I do regret missing your presentation the day before, but your videos on Wednesday were wonderful. What an awesome group!

2:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Estee

I'm intereted in autism and I have autism blog but I'm not have an autism. Your blog is helpfull

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home