My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, May 22, 2008

 

I Feel Therefore I Am



I do not wish to suggest that having all one's senses intact makes one a better human. No. Humans have a remarkable ability to adapt and all humans indeed FEEL.

"One of the greatest sensuists of all time -- not Cleopatra, Marilyn Monroe, Proust, or any of the other obvious voluptuaries -- was a handicapped woman with several senses gone. Blind, deaf, mute, Helen Keller's remaining senses were so finely attuned that when she put her hands on the radio to enjoy music, she could tell the difference between the cornets and the strings. She listened to colorful, down-home stories of life surging along the Mississippi from the lips of her friend Mark Twain. She wrote at length about the whelm of life's aromas, tastes, touches, feelings, which she explored with the voluptuousness of a courtesan. Despite her handicaps, she was more robustly alive than many people of her generation." From Dianne Ackerman's A Natural History of the Senses, introduction.

I wish I knew how to make movies.I don't have good tools and am in the midst of imagining what I could do for Adam in terms of effects. Tools are everything.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Estee,

A breathtaking video and an inspiring legacy of love and acceptance for Adam. I hope Adam enjoys looking at it too.

HIK

4:57 PM  
Blogger Ange said...

Sorry, I couldn't get past the row of 8's! The music etc. caused my anxiety to shoot way up. I'll try another day...

5:24 PM  
Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

I am going to rewrite my comment. It is a comment on how overstimulating the world can be, yes.

For Adam, he gets really excited with moving letters, vibrating images and numbers. I made this for him, but yes, you got it with the overstimulating part. There is so much in the world to feel.

5:33 PM  
Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

[this is a message written just now from Adam himself who smiles throughout the whole video and sings AAAA]

"i liked the video because feelxsw good."

6:22 PM  
Blogger Bev said...

8! I like 8 also. Nice video. Water is a question. Yes. I love the way you think, Adam.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Ange said...

So today it suddenly dawned on me that I could watch this with the volume off and all was well! I like to read what Adam has to say.

4:21 PM  
Blogger artemis said...

Dear Estee and Adam,

I have been reading your blog(s) for some time now. I don't know any autistic person but I'm nevertheless very glad I found this site. The informations and thoughts you share with us are important and inspiring. Thank you.

By the way, the video is beautiful Estee. And 8 is my favourite too! As a child, my favourite letter was c. I used to draw many of them in a row without breaks in between them, because they looked like waves... :-)

Best wishes from Austria!

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home