My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

 

Why I'll Always Remember 2008






I relished in Adam's ability to form friendships with many children this year, and the many children who wanted (and continue to want) to be with him.





I learned who really supported me, even when we had BIG disagreements.
























I am still recovering from my first surgery (with the happy face pendant) and I never knew that a photo with Lance Armstrong could symbolize for me, what lay on the horizon.

Yes, that's right, I'm a writer so I won't hide it, and I don't want pity. I have to have another surgery as I have borderline ovarian cancer. The next surgery will ensure I will live to ninety.

You can bet on it.

And you can bet I will not let anyone complain or compare autism to cancer or a "death sentence," either.


'When I dare to be powerful - to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid.' -- cancer survivor.

8 Comments:

Blogger Niksmom said...

Sending you positive thoughts of strength and healing as you approach your next surgery.

And yes, you are right, there is absolutely NO comparison between autism and something like cancer or other actual diseases! That people want to draw such comparisons makes me cringe.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

I'm sure we all send you are very best wishes and support.

7:01 PM  
Blogger kristina said...

Take care of yourself and all of yours---thinking of you.

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful family (including yourself!) and a lot to live for. I wish you the best of luck and a quick recovery.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What Leila and Niksmom said!
I hope all goes well with the surgery and beyond. Adam's continued blossoming is wonderful to behold. And so is the support of family and friends. (Our hidden agenda is that years and years from now, we want to be able to parade you around Rimlandesquely as a "recovered ally" :-). Recovered from something truly to recover from.)

10:40 PM  
Blogger Bev said...

My thoughts are with you, Estee, and with your family as you walk through this difficult time.

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully stated. Good luck to you!! xo

11:50 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Good luck with your surgery- we'll be thinking of you!

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home