My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

 

Is It Just Me?

Or is the summertime aware of being tired? Does it beckon our being mindful of it?

The leaves flutter silver in the soft breeze -- I want a hammock to watch them.

The warm breeze feels like silk against my arms -- I want to lie and let it cover me.

I want to breathe the ease.

I want to take a break.

I want to dance under the stars.

I want to take lazy walks.

Adam hugs me and lies with me in the yard. We fall asleep. YES! this is summer. It is sweeter when he lies with me, his head leaning in the crook of my arm.

It's what it's all about. Taking time, sometimes -- taking care of ourselves. Letting our children also experience this break from having to "do" just like we do most of the year. It's a relief to stop and see the life all around me. Hopefully we'll all be able to do some of the same.

Happy Summer. (31 degrees celcius and sunny in Toronto)

4 Comments:

Blogger Maddy said...

Sorry dearie but I think I am at the completely opposite point of the compass. If we ever get to England [5 zillion suitcases still to go] I may just stick myself in an enveloppe and post myself back here.
Cheers

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, we all have to, at times, stop, and smell the roses... Modern urban life, with all the mass media, social pressures, and personal/family obligations are pushing us too far into oblivion, and sometimes, as the song says it, "the answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind..."

5:26 PM  
Blogger ballastexistenz said...

It's grass pollen season, so... no dancing under the stars or walks (lazy or otherwise) for me, not until I can breathe without prednisone.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

Amanda,

Oh yes, it's true. Pollen is horrible this time of year and we're all on antihistimines, but hey, I was tyring to linger in romanticism.

My dad is on prednisone too for a long time -- scarry stuff.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home