My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

 

I Believe

There is something that I've been made aware of lately: at the conference I spoke at last week, a gentleman with brain damage noted after my presentation that I am proud. He meant it in the sense that he too is proud and that what shines when I talk about Adam and autism is not shame, but pride. He is right. There is nothing I'm NOT proud about when it comes to him. It's that heart-swelling thing I've got, and I hope it's contagious. I look at pictures and despite the fact that I am far from perfect and that there has been a lot of pain in my life, like there is in most of our lives, there is just so much to be happy about. Perhaps it is just sheer will on my part -- not out of some depression or delusion (I am not associating one with the other by the way) -- but this determination that has enabled me to well, BELIEVE in him:

11 Comments:

Blogger Bev said...

Thank you. Your timing on this is perfect for me, reading this is like medicine. I am going to bookmark it and read it every day and pretend I am Adam and that you are the people in my life I wish could feel this way about me.

5:02 PM  
Blogger hollywoodjaded said...

That was absolutely lovely Estee. Thank-you.

Hugs to you and Adam,
HJ

--

PS to Bev:

I really love all your artwork on you blog; it makes me happy.

5:53 PM  
Blogger VAB said...

The odd thing is that it needs to be said at all. Of course we are proud of our children. Most people are. But our kids are unique and interesting on top of it. What's not to be proud of?

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wrote post on a parents of kids w/ sp needs forum about my son's social skills group and how I'm glad it's over because the woman running it didn't seen to like my son. And while I realize that everyone isn't going to like my son, for the life of me I can figure out how anybody could not love him as much as I do! I agree, what's not to be proud of?

Karen in CA

8:34 PM  
Blogger Niksmom said...

Exquisite. Your son is not only a beautiful child, but he's got an amazing mom!

9:11 PM  
Blogger Niksmom said...

BTW, what is the song and who is the artist? I love it!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

No, not an amazing mom, just an average one. But thanks, your comment is appreciated.

The song: Amanda Marshall: I Believe In You.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

And yes, Bev's artwork is AMAZING! I hope she will let me persuade her to put it up on the www.taaproject.com website. ??

9:48 PM  
Blogger Bev said...

It would be an honor! Did you receive my email about this? Let me know what I need to do. And thank you!

11:11 PM  
Blogger Bev said...

That would be fantastic! I love TAAP. Did you get the e-mail I sent?

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Estee,
I so appreciate the true motherly love that you display so completely. I am the mother of two NT children. I love them with my whole heart and would fight anyday for them. But I worked at a pre-school before returning to the "real world" and there I encountered the beauty and diversity that is humankind. God bless you, your son, and your work.
Angie

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home