My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

 

Testament

Where have we been and what can we become? It's a basic question I've been asking myself the past several days listening to viewpoints and watching debates:


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very reinforcing video--on how others attempt to control the minds of those who are there to listen, not to the onslaught of information, but to the soul of the autistic individual, as that individual explores life to its fullest, moment-by-moment.

The worded text, at times, was readable, but too quickly displayed at other times to be legible...

7:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Estee, first I would like to say that that was an extremely moving video. I have just recently discovered your (and others') blog on the Autism Hub a couple of weeks ago, am am forever changed. Finding the Hub has been a blessing and has given me a new lense to see the world through. I have never seen more clearly in my life.

What I have read and seen in the past couple of weeks has enlightened and moved me so that I am all consumed with the the feeling that is my responsibility as a parent of an autistic child to make people aware of the concept of ACCEPTANCE. It is ironic that I have discovered the Hub at a time when there is such discord between parents of autistics and (some) autistics themselves. However, I feel that at present, if I do not advocate for my son, he will not be advocated for.

Is there a way that I can contact you personally? I would like know if you know of any organizations such as your in the States? I would be very interested in hearing your story in more detail so that perhaps I might create something similar in Los Angeles. Los Angeles is in desperate need for ecucation -- for my child's sake as well as so many other children.

I meet too many "woes me" parents who have not yet been able to accept the beauty in their children and it saddens me so. I so agree with the quote you used in your video -- "Human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes of mind."

I would love to be a person who can help these people see things a little differently -- especially for the sake of all those children who are not feeling loved and accepted.

please feel free to email me at meliskg@hotmail.com

I welcome suggestions from others as well.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Maddy said...

Thank you.
Best wishes

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home