My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Thursday, March 22, 2007

 

Life




It's my birthday again. I'm about to go out with my friends because Henry is out of town -- the first time in ten years -- with Max. Since I've been very young, I've been taking photos of myself every once in a while -- the kind that look a little severe and really close up. Sometimes I just take a part of my face, and often I keep my face blank and write about that time in my life. It ends up looking a little like a collage with writing all around. So, {sigh} this is what forty-two looks like close-up with makeup on.

It started to rain today. But the air was so mild -- like spring wanted to peek in on me and say a quick hello. It spat, it poured, and now the sun has come out. I guess it's kind of like life -- ever changing. I used to do the typical birthday stuff. For the first time, I found that I don't really care about MY day. I care about what I can do so that others can enjoy "my" day and at the end of the day, that is what has made my day.

Today I:

1. Gave an old gentleman burrowing through the garbage something to eat and had a lovely conversation with him. I don't think I will ever forget his grace and his warm smiling eyes. He showed me how life can turn on a dime and deserves no less respect;
2. Gave Adam a birthday present -- a lollipop -- one of his favorite things, and he showed me how much joy he finds in simple things. Life is still pure and uncomplicated at age five;
3. Am buying dinner. I want to continue to share my life with my friends and family because life can get too busy and we can forget to spend time with them.
4. Wish all people I know and those I don't well, because we really do belong to each other. We share this life, this community and we are more united than we are divided.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger kristina said...

A very happy birthday----I've let mine pass by half-unnoticed more and more----with a boy to give lollipops to, there's celebration all the time.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Connie Deming said...

Happy birthday, Estee!
I'm a friend of Jim Sinclair's -- a parent of a 21 year old autistic beautiful guy. I'm thrilled with what you're doing, your take on it all, and am grateful that he showed me the way here.
Hope we can connect.
Connie

1:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's wishing you a very good year!

8:25 AM  
Blogger Maddy said...

Happy Birthday. I wish I looked at nifty as that at 42. Anniversaries of all kinds seem to be pretty much a blur these days, so I think you're spot on to just try to slow it down and breathe - a lollipop helps.
Best wishes

8:29 AM  
Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

Connie, good to hear from you. Why don't you email me?

Bonnie, Kristina and Mcewen,

Thanks for your words and wishes.

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Estee! I adore your blog - you are so intelligent and articulate. I am a 15-year-old girl who almost certainly has Asperger Syndrome. Although I have not been officially diagnosed, I have most of the symptoms, and have estimated my posibillity of having Asperger at around 85-90%. I'm nervous about going to a psychiatrist for an official diagnosis, since I have anxiety issues and I'm sure they'd pump me full of pills for that. I had a lot of the classic signs especially when I was younger (Poor social skills, repetitive behaviors, interrupting people, and getting obsessed with stuff). I'm suprised they didn't pick up that I had an ASD. I appear more "normal" now, I guess.

The Autism Acceptance Project is amazing. I look at life like a glass that you can see as half empty or half full. Your project helps people see their lives - and the lives of others, as half full, not half empty and I thank you for that. Nobody's glass is totally empty or full anyway, we all have "flaws" or things that make us different from other people.

So, THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!!

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home