My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, December 15, 2007

 

Thank you Ari Ne'eman


Thank you Ari of The Autistic Self Advocacy Network (ASAN) and others who supported the petition drafted by his organization. Ari's work to demand the withdrawl of the New York Child Study Center's Ransom Notes Campaign has been run in the New York Times, The Wall Street Journal's Health Blog, and the New York Daily News.

I once again call upon you out there to sign this petition. This campaign is not okay. It does not consult the very people it claims to "help," and it continues to perpetuate the fear and stigma it so claims to want to stop.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thoughts and it takes too long to open those pgs again on dial-up.

Dear Ransom Notes:

I am a child WITH autism. I deserve and demand your kindness, respect and compassion.

I am not to be feared, I am not a danger to society and I am not a freak.

I am learning well with the help of my Parents, Teachers, EA, Speech path, OT, and PDD support. They want me to be the best that I can be.. not what societies "norms" think I should be. The biggest harm to my developement is those that think I am behaviourally "wrong". Those that think that I need the same "training" as, and with less respect than, your pet dog receives. Since when is it ok to put me in a corner for 8hrs a day to be "modified" by strangers. Had I been developing "normally" this would be child abuse.

I AM A HUMAN BEING.

It is time I was treated with the same kindness and respect as everyone else on this planet.

S.

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home