My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, September 15, 2007

 

The Zen of Chocolate




Adam loves chocolate. He will sing for cake, remembering the Happy Birthday songs of parties-past. There is a true art to eating chocolate, and Adam has mastered it. So, instead of worrying about weight-gain, I imagine lolling in bed with a box of bon bons. He simply and truly makes it one of the most pleasurable things to watch that you just gotta try it...guilt-free.

Adam will wake up in the morning, a look of determination washing over his face. His eyes will then furrow as he forms his mouth to say "Choc-oh," looking into my eyes. He musters up the energy to say it just so, the "c -oh" punctuated, his mouth extending the shape of an O a few seconds after the word has been said, so that it's as if the milky stuff floats in the air.

I blame Quaker, not myself. They make good chocolate chip granola bars for breakfast. Back in my day, my mother blamed Captain Crunch.

Okay, I let Adam have a chocolate chip granola bar before his healthier breakfast. He will ask for the finest of African Dark in the afternoons, and when the cake comes out, I can't leave a party quickly.

So, I sit back and take a long look of delight that passes Adam's face when he gets his piece of cake. May they all eat cake.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Granola chocolate soya desert is a more healthy option to chocolate. Most kids seem to adore it and my two NT kids still do. My autie son Joel (now 14) used to love it, but went off the stuff a few years ago. Might try him on it again, actually, coz he is a big choc lover and a big boy as a result!

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What shocking indulgence! I'm sure you're familiar with that old adage 'spoil the child!'

So saying, I seem to recall in the long distant past, a trip that we made to France after England. By the time we'd reached France, he had consumed every catering carton of Goldfish that we had packed.

The Chocolate gateaux in France were a delight at breakfast, and lunch and dinner. Those happy old days of 3 foods.

Cheers

3:58 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

That's a gorgeous photograph. And I think I want some chocolate cake now.... He sure looks like you, Estee!

2:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May they all eat cake indeed - one of the only things in our house that doesn't leave a single crumb!

2:22 AM  
Blogger gettingthere said...

"May they all eat cake." Amen! Your Adam is the picture of joy as he eats his chocolate cake.

5:08 AM  
Blogger abfh said...

What a happy little face! I never could eat chocolate as a child; the taste was just too bitter for me. As I've grown older and lost some of my taste sensitivities, though, I've learned to appreciate the joy of chocolate.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Casdok said...

What a lovely smiley face!

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My little one doesn't have a sweet tooth. But lately I've been hearing "2 Cookies peeese". The banana bear paw cookies that come 2 to a package.

I rarely refuse such a wonderful effort.

S.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Ian Parker said...

Adam looks like the second happiest kid in the world!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

My lovely child loves chocolate too - the darker the better, but all kinds are fine. Chocolate, particularly dark chocolate is full of antioxidants, and good for you (in moderation). Does Adam also enjoy exotic greens (sorrel spinach or mache)?

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home