My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Monday, June 18, 2007

 

Happy Autistic Pride Day



Autistic Pride Day is celebrated on June 18 each year. It is a day of celebration of people on the Autistic spectrum.

Many families around the world celebrate in a simple way, but there are also numerous public events. There are also gatherings of autistics so that many can communicate together in real time via their computers.

Autistic Pride day is an initiative by Aspies For Freedom. This autism rights group aims to educate the general public with such initiatives to end ignorance of the issues involved within the autistic community.

We are proud in the Wolfond household of our son, Adam. We are overjoyed to celebrate this community and everyone's diversity any day.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy autistic pride day to you, too! It's a fun week for me because it's also gay pride (yeah...I'm a lezzie aspie...has a nice ring to it don't you think? :-) ). So I am definetly celebrating my PRIDE this week!

By the way, Check out this video I made on youtube, in celebration of gay pride and autistic pride...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxswD11yU-U

12:03 PM  
Blogger VAB said...

Happy Pride!

I mentioned it to our guy this morning and he asked me, "So, do I get a Slurpee?" I guess so. Slurpees all around!

12:57 PM  
Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

Oh...we need slurpees here in Toronto. Very hot day. Good day for a parade though!

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home