My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

 

Separation Anxiety... For Whom?

Remember my weekend post on separation anxiety? Well, it's me, not Adam who has it bad.

Today was the first day of camp. The first day of getting on a school bus without mom. We previewed camp yesterday and last week. I drew pictures of a school bus, bought him a toy bus and spoke about busses ad nauseum.

The school bus was late, being the first day I guess this is normal. Adam was clingy. I was getting nervous, even though I TRY to hide it, but it seems that Adam picks up on all of my hidden emotions.

Four busses went by. They were not HIS bus. It was like a big tease. I was getting more agitated.



Making the School Bus connection a few minutes before camp. Posted by Picasa

But then the bus came, I scurried Adam in to the bus and his camp shadow followed.



Getting on the School Bus for the very first time. Posted by Picasa

Before I knew it, Adam was sitting on the bus, looking out the window, wondering why I wasn't coming. His eyes showed initial signs of distress. Then, the bus took off and I saw Adam's neck bend to watch me out of one eye for as long as he could.

My eyes teared as I walked into the house, as I laughed while I cried. I called Morgan on her cell.

"How's he doing?"

"Oh, he's fine. His friends are telling him about when they started at camp. He's having a ball."

The camp just called. My heart dropped as I thought I would have to pick him up early -- that something has happened.

"We're just calling to say that Adam is having a great first day at camp."

Ha. Go figure. It's always the parent who is the mess. This parent, anyway.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Jedi Family of Blogs said...

Although B is 10 & I have never put him on a bus (shudder :), I resonate to your feelings very much. The first day of school always does this to me- I'm a mess the whole day. I thought that kindergarten would be the most intense... & it was awful... but every year it's just the same (the kid's headed for fifth grade, for heavens sake!). And, of course, B is fine when I pick him up...

10:31 AM  
Blogger kristina said...

Generally the same happens with me----my worry about Charlie fades away when I note his ho-hum attitude about trying out things I had thought would be much harder.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true. I am sure every parent can relate to this post very well. :)

5:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, estee! so glad he's having a great time! so sweet!

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home