My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Monday, June 12, 2006

 

Living Library

Harpers recently wrote a little snippet about a Living Library to destigmatize people. Here's a short hotlist of people who are often stereotyped. It's a good exercise to think what comes to mind when you read this list:

African American
Environmentalist
Feminist
Gay
Disabled
Asian
Jewish
Autistic

Would you like to add to the list in the comments section?

The Living Library is a concept by which members of these groups come in to talk about themselves. I was thinking that The Autism Acceptance Project is very much like a Living Library -- with autistic people coming to talk about themselves and the issues that surround autism. I love the concept and hope others will consider doing something similar in their own towns.

The Autism Acceptance Project -- Exhibition is Free. Tickets for lectures on sale now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

No..I will seek it out and watch it.

Thanks!

6:24 PM  
Blogger Random Mom said...

I'd like to add a few to the list of stereotyped groups, if I may.

Latino/Hispanic
Single mother
HIV Positive
Obese

I'd also like to attend the Autism Acceptance Project Exhibition, however, I'm a member of another frequently stereotyped group.

Financially challenged

I understand that it's free, but distance precludes traveling there. I'll send positive thoughts. It's easier and cheaper!

7:22 PM  
Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

Thanks for the positive thoughts! I wish you could attend! We've tried to keep the tickets cheap so Toronto families can attend.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home