My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, February 25, 2006

 

The Wind and the War

The migraine has passed and I spend some time reading on the beach print-outs from autistics on rights, Jim Sinclair's good piece "Don't Mourn for Us," the ongoing online debate between Michelle Dawson and Wade Rankin, and my Disability Studies Reader.

Adam runs up and down the beach, watches sea gulls and parasails on this windy day in Miami, happy, but...oblivious to the hundreds of man o war (sp?) that in the last few minutes, have swept up onto the beach. It is the first time I've seen so many man o war but I've heard of what they look like -- these blue balloon-looking creatures. I jump out of my chair and pull him away from the water quickly.

The wind and the war -- may the wind blow away the injustices and wash the war away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home