My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Sunday, January 29, 2006

 

Neurotypical Syndrome

I'm not meaning to frighten you, but I think I have something going on and it might raise doubts...I don't know...I hope I don't raise something that you find wrong in yourself too...I haven't wanted to speak of it, well, not until all of this diagnostic stuff came out. Well here goes:

I seem to be putting on facades. I mean, everyone expects that I act and be a certain way. They expect me to say nice things even when I'm not thinking nice things. I guess this is called social etiquette, and it really exhausts me. Nevertheless, I lie. Yes, that's right. I tell someone I like their hair when I really hate it. Or I say "no your'e not fat!" when it's darn sure that the person I said that to has put on a few. Or "nice to see you" when I really couldn't care if I saw you a hundred years from now. Lying to people is a number one symptom of Neurotypical Syndrome (NT). I read all about it today.

"Those with Neurtotypical Syndrome express a qualitative impairment in being alone as manifested by at least two of the following:

(a) lack of abilility in spending time in the company of oneself for a long duration;
(b) preoccupation with being with others, and social events."

Here's another one: I think I am superior. Yes, that's right. To anyone who cannot do as I do. In fact, there's no one as good as me. I believe this is called arrogance in the diagnostic criteria for NTS:

"(c) preoccupation with oneself, one's career, one's material and physical image;
(d) preoccupation with one's social status, fame and income. "

I do too many things and don't really focus on one. Instead of just focussing on one thing at a time, like I would like to do, I try to do too many things and it seems like I've got it all figured out, but I really don't. "Inability to focus intensively on one interest," is a definite symptom.

Judgement. I judge everyone. I judge based on whether you are like me or not like me. I expect everyone to blend together, to homogenize. If there is any difference, I become afraid and have to send that different person away. "Persistent intolerance of others," is another symptom.

I am highly impatient. I guess that's why I don't really think that hard about anything. It takes up too much time when I have to get my hair done. I thought about becoming a musician once, but eh, I just wanted to go to the clubs with my friends, instead. Not to mention impatient with others. I don't have time to listen to your bla bla!

I take things for granted. Um hum. Big time. I don't take time to "smell the flowers" or watch the rain fall... Who has time? I need to stand in line at Starbucks while I'm rushing to get to work!

It says in this manual I read today, that "the onset of Neurotypical Disorder is prior to three years of age....there is also a strong fascination for social belonging to the point of chronic lying...In most cases, there is an associated diagnosis of depression, substance-related disorders, sedative dependence, and other behavioural symptoms including inability to listen carefully to others, difficulty with empathy, and a deep fear of heterogeneity."

There were more symptoms in this manual I read ...I'm too upset to write them all down. You will have to look them up in the DSM. If you have more than three symptoms, I think that means you are lower functioning. If you have just one or two, there's more hope. I am in BIG trouble. I am not normal!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Alana said...

Oh Estee,
This is probably one of my most favorite blog posts yet!! I love it! Yes, I fear that many people I know have NT disorder...my only hope is that they can find a cure for it in my lifetime...I am quite sure that part of a cure invloves spending more time around non-NT children!
Thank you for this amazing post!

1:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it all depends on what group of people are doing the labeling, doesn't it?

More articles about Neurotypical Syndrome can be found at the website, which suggests that many NTs can learn "to compensate for their disabilities and interact normally with autistic persons."

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack, Blogger messed up my link by deleting the name of the site. I hate that glitch!

The site name is "Institute for the Study of the Neurologically Typical."

10:17 AM  
Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

Thanks, Bonnie! I had never seen that site before. Everyone should read it.

Estee

4:01 PM  
Blogger Brett said...

Great post. I had some comments, but they turned into a post of their own.

Brett

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A touching post. Your voice sends a strong message of hope and determination towards changing how the world views autism.

Susan Carter

7:15 PM  
Blogger Lora said...

Excellent, thank you!

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home