My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Friday, December 16, 2005

 
To open a school or to create a type of Outreach Program to integrate one or two autistic kids in a regular classroom -- with well trained teachers and with a flexible and open school staff -- that is the question today. If I could do this in one school, then perhaps it could be used in others -- and the legislation that exists for inclusive education would be much more effective.

I am so concerned about schools. I am talking with my friends today who are experiencing the same plight as I am, but they are two years ahead of me -- schools who turn their autistic kids away, schools that turn us away without being blunt about it. There is no place for them, and now there are so many children with autism. How many more years is this going to take?? Even schools who teach the learning disabled don't want the autistic kids, because the social component is difficult to teach and deal with. Then there are the ABA schools, and there are lots of parents like me who do not want our kids there. I do not want exclusive ABA all day long for my child.

Where integration would help my son, with extra assistance, it remains elusive. Will continue this later...a ladder has to be put into my office library now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home