My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

 
I have to write a press release for Jonathan Lerman's exhibit. Like most nights, I lay awake grappling with myself -- wondering how to communicate about him, and about autism, in a way that doesn't belittle his work. He is first an artist, and second, a person with autism. The interest in the show is autism, for sure, but how do I resist the sensationalization of autism? I think just by stating that it is indeed a struggle to avoid talking about autism -- I mean, those of us without it, are innately fascinated by the brain's functioning, and any other perspectives, like autistic ones, that help us to understand the enormity of human capacity.

Can someone with autism please write to me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home