My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Friday, September 23, 2005

 
By the way, the reason why I called this blog joyofautism is because I thought that no one else would put those words together (all the other titles I wanted were taken and I later found out that there are plenty of references to autism and the joy of having a child with it). Autism, which is part of who my son is, is a joy to me. He may not be a label inasmuch as those may treat him in a standardized and therefore, destructive way, but autism is part of who he is. He is as much an individual as any of us, but the autism also makes up part of how he moves within the world. He is wonderful to watch. His moves are nto random or behaviourally quirky if you look closely. They are strategic and orchestrated -- curious and innocent. Watching him helps me learn to see things in a different way. Watching him reminds me of how important focus and concentration are to become really good at something. His smiles, affection and abilities bring endless days of joy and I thank God for him every day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home