My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

 

Eye Contact

An interesting look into "eye contact" by Christschool:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When a parent, sibling, guardian, teacher, or other professional tries to force an autistic person (diagnosed or otherwise) to make eye contact, that person is just a guilty of torture as those at the JRC.

Often, personally, I have been told, very bluntly, "Look at me when I talk to you!", even to the point of grabbing my head and turning my face towards that person. Once the eye contact is made, I am totally bewildered as to what the person is talking about, as all I can do is see the outline of that person's eyes, and that picture before me cuts off all verbal communication (as they show in the video, very well).

I was told repeatedly that eye contact was, in itself, a form of communication. With gestures, eye contact, tone of voice, and other mannerisms mixed in with the verbal message (in any language), it's no wonder we have a terrible time at communicating with each other, and that the messages often get completely garbled as to what the person was stating.

When, if ever, will it get to the point of each person saying what they mean and meaning what they say, without the interference of gestures, tones, and eye contact?

9:37 PM  
Blogger Angela Johnson said...

Very interesting and insightful. I, myself,will go into panic attacks from to much eye contact with a person...especially if it's a stressful conversation.

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home