My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Friday, October 06, 2006

 

The Launch

The Launch of The Joy of Autism: Redefining Ability and Quality of Life last night was a dream.

Five autistic guests who spoke at the microphone, and a gallery full of people, willing to accept. Parents thankful and aware of our need to accept the joy our children bring us, despite the challenges. People untouched by autism approaching me who said “I didn’t understand autism, and now I understand a little more.”

And then, as I finished my speech which had no mention of the following words, Jonathan Lerman yelled: “SELF ESTEEM!”

Larry Bissonnette wrote on his computer: “Larry looks good on Estee’s film.”

Brian Henson said “we are not all the same,” and gave reference to how autistic people are stereotyped.

Martine Stonehouse talked about autistic ability despite the many challenges she has face throughout her life, and her wish to be appreciated for her ability.

Then Alan Lerman said, "The title Joy of Autism seemed provocative. I read some of the comments on Estee's blog where one parent said 'I'm tired of all the doom and gloom.' The Lerman family is in that corner."

We were well attended by educators, autistic people, scientists, parents and many people from other disabled communities.

I am grateful that my life has been touched by these incredible people. And all because of one child who has given me more than I could ever give back in return: my Adam.

6 Comments:

Blogger n. said...

Sounds great; wish I could have gone but live very far away. Will there be a book sold? (what is it called? A catalog of the exposition?)

Congratulations to you and especially to the artists, on this result!

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Estee,

Congratulations! Last night was amazing! The evening was truly inspirational! Our family has always been in your corner, and I look forward to everybody being able to appreciate the beauty of diversity. I think that through the project, we are well on our way there!!!

I am delighted to be part of it all! Thank you.

Brenda Rothenberg

10:27 AM  
Blogger kristina said...

Thanks for the report! Do you have photos, too?

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The evening was amazing. It should be mentioned that the hundreds of provocative posters and video presentations that surrounded the gallery were an educational experience for everyone wanting to learn more about autism. The paintings of Jonathan Lerman evoked comparisons to Picasso. Larry Bissonette was a wonder communicating with his computer. It was a eye-opener to meet these artists and recognize their uniqueness and their gifts to us all. Michael Moon's photography was also a joy to behold. Besides which, we can still look forward to his concert.

Thank you Estee for your passion and dedication. It was inspiring.

Scorpio

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Estee. I forgot that it was coming so quickly. Thank you for the description. Heart warming isn't quite the word. Heart touching is better...

Thank you, again. May the rest of the lecture series and the show go swimmingly.


Self-Esteem!!

5:37 PM  
Blogger Estee Klar-Wolfond said...

Got a new computer so I need to install the software for photos. Will do though!
Estee

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home