My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Writer/Curator/Founder of The Autism Acceptance Project. Contributing Author to Between Interruptions: Thirty Women Tell the Truth About Motherhood, and Concepts of Normality by Wendy Lawson, and soon to be published Gravity Pulls You In. Writing my own book. Lecturer on autism and the media and parenting. Current graduate student Critical Disability Studies and most importantly, mother of Adam -- a new and emerging writer.

“There is no hope unmingled with fear, and no fear unmingled with hope.” -- Baruch Spinoza

Saturday, January 14, 2006

 
My husband just told me that I sound like a pro-lifer in my last post. I'm certainly not the type to stand in front of an abortion clinic and make protest.

I am a mother in love with her son who happens to be autistic. In him, I see miracles everyday. I admit that prior to having a son with autism, I would have been fearful of autism, downs syndrome...it is not a condition people would prefer to deal with because people have no idea what it involves without having had the experience. This is why we as parents have so much awareness-raising to do. Before I had my son, I feared anything that was "different." After the experience, I would have opted to have a child with any "special" need. Yes, it is challenging in a society that does not yet provide enough supports, but having know what I know today, this is just life and all of this genetic pruning for perfection leaves me to think of how base and banal a society we might become.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was very heartening to read your comments abour your son, and to read your positive attitude to autism. - Amy Nelson of Aspies for Freedom

4:01 PM  
Blogger Alana said...

Amen!

6:06 PM  
Blogger kristina said...

Needless to say, a tough issue to address and impossible to say it all. I tried to a while ago at this post #122 . Thanks for getting us all to think.

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home